13.1.11

This Growing Up Business

Forget New Year's Resolutions. I have bigger fish to fry this year.

I'm deeming the year of 2011 as the year of growing up.

I've always wanted to grow up.

As a child, I walked at 9 months, swam as a three year old, and bossed everyone as soon as I could talk. While normal kids were playing with dolls, I opened a library in my walk-in closet, card catalogue and all. I read Little Women in second grade and wanted to be Josephine.

As a teen, I fought with my parents constantly and threatened to "move out!" because I was surely "old enough to take care of myself!" I quickly learned this wasn't the truth at all.

Then I thought, okay, college is when I'll really grow up. I'll move away and somehow find this total independence that I've always desired. False. Though I certainly was forced to make new friends, learn real responsibility, etc., I still whined to my mom when I felt sick. I cried to my dad about how mean mom was. I called both my parents for money. I wasn't grown up.

However, though I still can be a big baby and I definitely still mooch off my parents for money, *dare I say it* those days are winding down. I think...I might be...

A GROWN UP.

I graduate college in less than a year. I have to either find a job or get into a law school in less than a year. My best friend is getting married in less than a year.

When did this happen and why does it sound so much better when you're a kid?

I'm stressed.

Of course I hear my Christian background screaming Jeremiah 29:11 and other frequently-quoted, future-related scripture at me.

But I'm going to be honest-I also hear a lot of doubt. I have overwhelming fear. And anxiety-OH MY.

"Really cool, Alex. You're finally a grown up and you don't have any idea what to do with your life."

"You're a grown up but you still act like a child." (It's true, I often do!)


Craig Groeschel offers a compelling message directed specifically at the emerging generation. He claims that one of the three greatest temptations faced by the emerging generation is (I'm paraphrasing here-click to listen to full message) that we never believe we are "old enough" to take action, and grow up. We "postpone adulthood". That's true. I certainly don't feel "old enough", i.e. my doubts above.

However, he goes on to say that real life starts now. God calls us to grow up and start making a difference today. He also asserts that the emerging generation's biggest strength is that we cause-minded. We literally yearn to personally make a difference in the world. That's also true for me. I have goals and ambitions that will never happen if I don't realize that the time is here to chase them. The time is here for me to stop saying I'm going to do these things...that I want these things...and get off my rear and go get them.

While the fear of the future is, at times, deafening, we cannot let it become stronger than our desire to fulfill our God-given plans. Though we may not know the specifics of our lives, we all have specific desires that we long to be filled. And He promises that if we delight ourselves in Him, He will give them to us (Psalm 37:5).

Am I still scared?

Absolutely.

Is it going to be okay?

Absolutely.

2 comments:

  1. I totally remember your library, and I totally remember think that it was the coolest thing in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up is a scary thing! I would say I have been a grown up for a few years now ;) and I'm still scared to death of growing up! I would consider having a child making you a grown up, yet I still don't feel like one. I still whine to my mom when I'm sick and call my dad when mom and I get into it! :) So don't be too scared it definitely all works out!

    ReplyDelete