24.12.10

The weary world rejoices!

I can't believe it's actually Christmas Eve. And I can't believe that I'm going to write a post about my dog.

But, alas, it is somehow Christmas Eve and I am actually going to write about my miniature schnauzer-Emily.

I've never cared too much for animals.

I'll pretend to like them if I want to seem cutesy or please their owners but truthfully, I think they are usually a burden, ugly, smelly, messy, and [insert any other gross generalization here]. However, apparently when I was 8 years old I really liked dogs and therefore received Emily as my birthday present. She's a funny dog. She howls when we sing, she kills squirrels and birds, and she's not so miniature. I've always liked her okay but I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm an attached owner.

Emily is now 13 in dog years, making her a whopping 91 in human years! I came home to find that she's lost so much weight (for once she fits her breed name), she makes weird noises, and she sleeps all the time. We think she will die any day now.

And somehow-looking at my decrepit old dog-I've fallen in love with her like I am 8 years old again. My favorite part about Emily is that when she was a puppy (and still at 91), she is SO excitable and finds great happiness in the little things. Even though I know she's tired, she still jumps up on our laps, plays when let outside, and begs for just one little bite of her favorite human food-bread. Today, we found her playing in the wrapped presents under the Christmas tree.

My favorite Christmas song is "Oh Holy Night" simply because I love the following lines: "A thrill of hope/the weary world rejoices!"

How many times do we all feel weary? Emily's certainly weary (she's 91 for crying out loud!). But this Christmas, every Christmas, and every day for that matter, we can have great HOPE through the great gift God has given us through His son's birth and ultimate sacrifice. Like Emily, even when we're weary, we can choose to find happiness. We can REJOICE in all of God's many blessings.

God help me to stop complaining about being weary and rejoice in all that you've done. For YOU have given us much hope!

Cherish these precious moments with your family, friends, and even pets.
Merry Christmas everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment